We don’t really need a Reason to Be, but it certainly helps to occasionally step back and look at a larger picture.
What is Occam’s RazR?
What do I want it to be?
It’s not what we saw from the first incarnation of the “personal weblog.” I don’t share everything here. I have Facebook, and a Twitter account that I use for short thoughts. (I even started a “My Quotes” category to archive the witty pieces that shouldn’t be so ephemeral.)
I have a Posterous site, “Ike’s Online Scraptacular,” for the pieces that don’t fit in other places.
So if I am segmenting my online output, what goes here?
Bucket needs a label
I suppose I need to refocus and answer that.
Or I can take the lazy way out and say “It’s whatever the heck I want it to be about, on any given day.” But that doesn’t help the reader develop a consistent expectation. And even if I don’t have a purpose for this audience, it doesn’t mean I ought to waste its time with scattered meanderings.
So, this is what I will try to live up to:
- Occam’s RazR will be a site about exploration and explanation.
- Occam’s RazR will be a site about communication and cognition.
- I want to write about thinking, and how we can strip away assumptions to arrive at truth.
- I want to write about writing, and how we can more clearly enunciate what we mean.
- I want to write about process, and how we delineate what we can understand from what we can’t.
- I may write about football, or politics, or economics, or television, or any of a host of topics that might seem to emerge from nowhere. But I will always aim for the spirit of revealing the hidden truth, the missing link or the unsupported assumption.
- I will do my best to bridge from knowns to unknowns.
What am I missing?
I know I am missing elements, but I want them to be explicit and not implicit.
I worked for a news manager once who got a lot of mileage out of sending me to places where news was happening, with the gameplan of “Send Ike there, and let Ike be Ike.”
That’s not enough. I want the outsiders’ perspective of what that means.
So tell me…